Friday, October 22, 2010

Gardening & Driving with the RCMP

I have had my fair share of encounters at work and out and about in our Queen City but there is one more area that I have neglected to share with you – driving with my friend Matt. I am not sure why but it seemed like every time I was in Matt’s old Chevette in high school we’d run into trouble on the road.

Our first encounter was during an evening where we were both bored and decided to head over to the South BP’s and hang out for a bit. On our way home another car raced up and cut him off. Now, young male drivers sometimes tend to…dislike this. Not to be out done Matt frowns and changes lanes with the intention of cutting of the other vehicle. Only, the passengers in the other car are not as willing to let go of Matt’s retaliation. They proceed to follow us all the way to my neighbourhood – at one point Matt realized he was using his signal light…you know, because he didn’t want to be an inconsiderate driver to the car full of thugs chasing us. Why do I call them thugs? Well because at one point they pulled over and started to exit the vehicle when they thought we were stopping and in their hands were pruning sheers. Yes, pruning sheers. I am not familiar with gardening or car maintenance but I am pretty sure pruning sheers are not a requirement for car safety. Finally, I pulled out my cell phone to call the police because I wanted to go home but I certainly was not about to get out of the car and chance that they’re not going to do anything other than yell threats at us. Once they caught a glimpse of the glowing cell phone they turned off and left as alone. After that day, Matt stopped cutting people off in the name of revenge.

The second encounter in Matt’s old "vette" took place on a Friday evening on the way back from Little Caesar's Pizza. Jimmy & I were in the back, Matt was driving and another friend Mike was in the front passenger seat. We were stopped at a red light to cross Arcola Ave and beside us was a large gold truck. Inside the truck was a middle aged couple eating ice cream treats. The light turns green and we proceed to Brandee’s to get Matt’s slushy fix. As we pull in to park the truck that was beside us comes barrelling towards us at an alarming speed and Matt having just been chased by a truck full of bat-wielding men a week prior didn’t hesitate as he hit the gas to get out of the way. We drove as fast as we could all the way to Jenna’s house where the rest of our friends were waiting for the Pizza we had gone to get.

The next morning I am woken up by my mom holding the cordless phone telling me that Matt’s mom is on the line asking what happened the night before because Matt was being charged with "stunting". As it turns out, the owner of the truck beside us happened to be an off duty RCMP officer (unbeknownst to us). Apparently Mike made a crude gesture at the man’s wife with a breadstick and that is what had set him off. He was very clear that the two in the backseat did nothing wrong. In the end everything was resolved; Matt was not charged with stunt driving and Mike had to write a formal apology to the RCMP officer (not his wife, but the officer).

Sadly, Matt's Chevette met her end on a sunny Tuesday afternoon in 2002 on Arcola Ave when a car ran a red light and totalled her off forever. While waiting for the police to arrive he comforted himself with a slushy from Brandee's.

No comments:

Post a Comment