Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Overly Familiar Strangers

Working downtown as you all know, allows for us to run into people that are often…odd. In the last 6 years I have had several “run-ins” with various types of personalities. I used to be bothered by the number of panhandlers that littered Scarth Street during the nicer weather months until I went to Toronto in January 2007 and had an eye-opening encounter with a homeless man.

Jimmy, my sister in-law and myself were walking down Younge Street in Toronto, ON in January. It was quite nice out for a January evening - we didn’t even need a jacket…not at all like a Regina January evening. Suddenly from a dark doorway a weather-beaten man stepped out and asked if we had any spare change. I did not have a purse with me, just my debit card and a hotel key. I replied with “Sorry, no I do—“
He cut me off and said “Oh “fudge” off with your sorry you (word for female dog commonly used as an insult)!” then went back to his dark doorway. I stood there stunned. Never ever has someone yelled at me for not giving them my spare change. Usually the common response is: “Alright, thank you for your time Miss.” Or “Okay, have a good day.” After that encounter, I suddenly had a new appreciation for the people of downtown Regina. They may be trying to get the money out of my pockets…but at least they're polite about it!

But, that wasn’t even my strangest run-in. Several years ago I was standing outside of the Can Life building with a tray of homemade cinnamon buns. Jimmy is often late to pick me up since we live pretty close…so of course he waits until the last possible minute to get ready. It was St. Patrick’s day so there were a number of intoxicated strangers milling about and since we’re very close to a popular pub…it was inevitable that someone would stumble passed me while I waited for Jimmy. He was average height, wearing a brown leather jacket and really, really drunk. As he “walks” by me he stops and looks at my tray. “Hey sweetie, are you giving those away?”

I am not sure what my face said, but my lips said, “Uh….”

“Can I have one?” He says as he reaches over with both hands and grabs two. He shoves them in his face spitting crumbs out at me as he starts to tell me I should patent the recipe and quit my job to sell cinnamon buns. What a solid business idea! I can see myself now, rolling in cinnamon bun money filthy rich all because a hungry, happy drunk told me to quit my job. FINALLY I see Jimmy’s care approaching so I bid the man a quick awkward farewell and run towards the car. Jimmy was never allowed to be late again…..

Finally, I would like to share the Water Bottle incident.

I had decided to go for a 9km bike ride this past summer with Jimmy and his friend Jordan.  Part of the adventure is biking to our buddy's house over in a shady area - I mean we actually passed by a “gang”, a drifter and a small child running around motherless within two blocks.  We pull up onto Jordan's lawn and Jimmy goes inside leaving me to watch both of our bikes. While doing so I hydrate myself with my store-bought, personal water bottle.  Behind me I hear "Excuse me".  I ignore this as I am from downtown and I often hear "Excuse me," followed by "do you have spare change?”  He repeats, "Excuse me," So I turn around to see the drifter we passed standing on the sidewalk looking at me.  I say politely, "Yes?"
Drifter: “Can I have some of your water?”
Me: *I look at my water bottle, confused. Does this man really want to share a bottle of water with a stranger?*, “Uh okay….” I unscrew the cap of the water bottle and hand it to him hesitantly because I am all alone guarding two bikes and I didn’t want to provoke any sort of angry behavior.  I also thought about throwing away the bottle.   Except it was expensive….and surely I could get water hot enough to scald any germs off of it.
He interrupts my silence as his opportunity to ask: “Mind if I take this with me?”
Me:  *What the hell?? Who does this guy think he is? * “Uh no Id like to keep it thanks.”
Drifter: *Grunts* As if insulted that I refused to give up my property. Then he looks up at the door way and sees Jimmy standing on the porch of Jordan’s house.
Jimmy: "What the hell?"
Drifter: Says nothing to either of us, hands me back the bottle and then continues on his way, without so much as a “Thanks for the water.”
Jimmy and I watch him walk down the sidewalk out of sight. I turn to Jimmy and he stares at me as if to say “Why would you give your water bottle to that man!?” (We’ve been together long enough that we no longer need to talk aloud to one another to communicate.
I give him my best “I love you” smile and then shoot my arm out to put the water bottle in his face, indicating that I’d like it washed. He rolls his eyes at me and says “Try not to give away our bikes while I’m gone….”

No comments:

Post a Comment