Friday, July 2, 2010

Irrational Loving

You should know that I do not under any circumstance like bugs and even if what I presume to be a bug really turns out to be lint or a spec of dirt….I will promptly freak out without first inspecting to ensure that it is in fact a bug. About five years ago when Jimmy & I lived in our apartment we had a small but terrifying wasp invasion. At first we couldn’t quite figure out how they were getting in from outside just that they were always in our place. Later we would determine that there was a wasp nest in our AC unit and they were wiggling in through the openings. However there is one particular instance which I may have sort-of-kind-of over reacted (just a touch) to a wasp encounter and Jimmy made the mistake of pointing this out.
We were having our two friends Dave & Cassie over for dinner as they also lived in the same building. I was rushing around doing some tidying up and I went for the window to open the blinds. As I did this a dead (unbeknownst to me at the time) wasp body tumbles down and lands on my hand. In that moment all level-headedness I possessed went straight out the window as I let out a blood curdling scream and RAN away. Jimmy came running out of our computer room to see what had distressed his female companion to the point of a horror movie scream.
He looked confused and a bit annoyed at my reaction once I explained what had happened. Now, if you’re not familiar with women and how they work you won’t realize the mistake Jimmy has just made. I am upset and still calming down from my wasp attack. He has failed to be sympathetic and instead chose to roll his eyes. In that moment I stood there staring at him and my eyes changed from wide to narrow. In my head there was a tug-o-war going on. The rational, sane side of me was telling me that he was correct – I way over reacted and had actually scared him a little. Yet, the female side of me was telling rational sane side to shut it. He was being insensitive! I need to be comforted not scoffed at! Jimmy’s expression changed as well. He knew what he had done and that he was running out of time to mend the situation.
His face softened as did his voice. Jimmy motioned for me to come closer and he embraced me. I relaxed and called off the troops allowing for rational, sane Amy to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment