Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cheers! Bringing Booze To Work

As a last attempt to squeeze as much use as possible out of our expiring Costco membership (we did not plan on renewing) we purchased approximately a million Coke Zero cans. Said cola was then placed in our mini fridge which resides in our computer room. On the morning of my last day in the Individual New Business dept. I went into said computer room, opened the mini fridge (in the dark) and grabbed a can to take to work. I had foolishly assumed that I grabbed the correct can and placed it in my bag then headed off to work. Around 11:00 am I was feeling thirsty…so I reach in to my bag in search of my Coke Zero can. Instead, what do I pull out? A silver Coors Light can. I recall having a party a few months prior and some of our friends leaving their "BYOB" at our place. I had totally forgot that these were in there. Out of 60+ cans in the fridge, two were Coors Light, and the others were Coke Zero. Of course I, of all people, would take 1 of 2 frowned upon-at-work-beverages.

A surge of panic and embarrassment runs through my stomach Just as quickly as I had taken the can out I shoved it back in to my bag and looked around nervously. What a way to end my last day with the department I sit back down at my computer, kind of disappointed that I am still craving a carbonated beverage. Then out of no where my team leader shows up with the two new hires to introduce me (it wasn't much of an introduction… "And This is Amy, it's her last day with us."). Then this hits me: What if I had not even looked at the can? What if I had just grabbed it blindly, cracked it open and casually set it on my desk? What a first impression I would have made on the new hires - I am so excited to be leaving that I brought a beer to celebrate? And for a brief moment the idea of “Cheers-ing” them passed through my head. That would have been really funny to see the looks on their faces….you know, if I wanted to get fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment