Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to Open A Mint Tin: A Step By Step Instruction

Sosmetimes intelligent people are not always the smartest when to comes to simple every day logic. For example, my friend Dan skipped his Master’s degree in Physics and went straight to a PHD. Yet, he can not start a BBQ without endangering his life. And I believe one time he tried to dry his socks on an open flame….which took all of the elasticity out of them rendering them useless (dry, but useless nonetheless).

One of my previous team leaders is also one of these exceptionally smart individuals who seem to go blank for simple concepts. She could figure out a work-around for any situation and never forgot anything – ever. The lesson I learned from her was no matter how perfect someone seems we all have our “off day”.

Several years ago such a day came about. Everyone else had gone home for the day except for me and my team leader. I used to have a window seat that faced the window so when someone entered my area I could see their reflection. This particular day my Team leader was leaving earlier than usual and as she walks by my desk on her way out I see her stop, look at me, hesitate and then step into my pod. I remove my head phones and turn to look at her outstretched hand. She is holding out a mint tin from Timothy’s.

I look up at her questioning this encounter. “I was at Timothy’s the other day and I remembered I still had that gift card that everyone bought us for Christmas last year. So I bought these mints and….” She stops to think about how to say what she is going to say. “I can’t figure out how to close it. I figured you’re good with this sort of thing so maybe you can help me.” Hmm. This is quite the situation she has put me in and I am scared that I am going to make a face that suggests I think she’s strange. I take the mint tin and examine it for a moment. Then in my usual awkward way I say, “Yeah, I guess you don’t want mints floating around your purse.” Upon my inspection I have concluded that this is a pop-top lock so I press the top of the tin down and it seals shut. She smiles and says “Oh! I knew you would figure it out. Thanks Amy. Oh, did you want one?” I declined the mint and said my good night.

So, anyway, if any of you ever need help closing a container, you know you can always stop by my desk….but you might end up in one of my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment